Dub This!
Rome is the most beautiful city in the world, and I love living here. But it has its flaws. Here's one.
Just this afternoon I went to my local forno (bakery) to get some fresh bread (mmm, yummy!) There are always fliers there, for bars, clubs, theaters, etc. I saw one for Film Studio, a local "art house" cinema, advertising their Ozon film festival ("Il cinema secondo François Ozon").
I've seen most of his films, and think he is a director to follow, so I picked up the program. Not only are they showing Ozon's films, but also certain films from the 90s that have "marked" Ozon ("film degli anni '90 che 'hanno segnato' François Ozon"). These include works by Kiarostami, Ming-liang, the Dardenne brothers, and Chabrol. How could I possibly go wrong???
Easy. Every single film will be shown DUBBED INTO ITALIAN. Yes, dubbed into Italian. Of course, this is normal here in Italy (unfortunately). But for a retrospective of an important director, along with other important films? It's a shame -- no, it's a crime.
Just this afternoon I went to my local forno (bakery) to get some fresh bread (mmm, yummy!) There are always fliers there, for bars, clubs, theaters, etc. I saw one for Film Studio, a local "art house" cinema, advertising their Ozon film festival ("Il cinema secondo François Ozon").
I've seen most of his films, and think he is a director to follow, so I picked up the program. Not only are they showing Ozon's films, but also certain films from the 90s that have "marked" Ozon ("film degli anni '90 che 'hanno segnato' François Ozon"). These include works by Kiarostami, Ming-liang, the Dardenne brothers, and Chabrol. How could I possibly go wrong???
Easy. Every single film will be shown DUBBED INTO ITALIAN. Yes, dubbed into Italian. Of course, this is normal here in Italy (unfortunately). But for a retrospective of an important director, along with other important films? It's a shame -- no, it's a crime.

1 Comments:
Subtitles are the best. Can't stand dubbing - even in an utterly unfamiliar language, the expressional nuances that get lost annoy the hell out of me.
Post a Comment
<< Home